Friday, April 2, 2010
Top 20 Things to do in South Africa
1. The seas around Cape Town are home to the notorious Great White Shark. Shark cage diving lets you get as close as you'll ever want to get to this predator. Visit www.sharkadventures.co.za
2. Drink wine that taste as good as the scenery looks by visiting one of the Cape's spectacular wine routes : Stellenbosch, Constantia, Franschoek, Elgin..... Visit www.wineroute.co.za
3. For wind and sheer beauty, visit the southernmost pinnacle of the Cape Peninsula, Cape Point. Visit www.capepoint.co.za for information on how to get there and hiking in the adjacent nature
4. Take a cold bottle of wine and enjoy the sunset on beautiful Clifton 4th Beach.
5. Eat in a restaurant in Franschoek, home to some of South Arica's best. Our choice goes with Le Quartier Francais or Ruben's. Visit www.franschoek.co.za
6. Johannesburg, the City of Gold, began liefe when gold was discovered in the area. Visit Gold Reef City theme park tour and underground in a gold mine. Visit www.goldreefcity.co.za
7. Nearby Gold Reef City is Soweto. Book a tour with www.sowetotour.com and experience possible the largest and most historic South African township.
8. Visit Johannesburg's Edwardian and Art Deco architectural heart by calling the Parktown and Westcliff Heritage Trust on 011-4823349 to arrange an inner city walking tour. Visit www.parktownheritage.co.za
9. Sun City, trhee hours drive from Johannesburg, is famous for its casino. What most people don't know is that it is also a resort that offers superb hotels and excellent golfing. Visit www.suncity.co.za
10. While you are there, try and spot one or all of the Big Five that roam free in the nearby Pilanesberg Game Reserve. Visit www.pilanesberggamereserve.com
11. Talking of game reserves, no trip to South Africa is complete without experiencing the wide open spaces to abundant animal life of the Kruger National Park. Visit www.krugerpark.com or call 021 - 4687255 For accommodation visit www.khayaumdani.com or www.khayaromantica.com
12. The province of Mpumalanga is spectacularly beautiful (and also the gateway to the Kruger National Park). Do a self-drive tour of the wscarpment, visiting the towns of Sabie, Graskop Ohrigstad and Pelgrims Rest along the way or drive a little further to the magnificent Blyde River Canyon.
13. Ride on the back of an elephant. Call Regent Exclusive Safaris in Hazyview on 0866893283
14. Relax and pamper yourself into a better state of body and mind at Brookdale Spa in the picturesque Natal Midlands. Visit www.brookdale.co.za
15. Go take a hike! Hiking in Drakensberg of KwaZulu Natal is one of South Africa's best kept secrets. Visit www.kznwildlife.com for accommodation and hiking routes.
16. Put your 4x4 driving skills to the test by driving up the Sani Pass from Underberg into Lesotho. Visit www.sanitours.co.za
17. The Otter Trail on the Cape Garden Route is the best way to experience this beautiful part of the country. Visit www.sahikes.co.za
18. While in the area, the vast beaches of Plettenberg Bay have to be seen - and eat fresh oysters in Knysna while you're at it.
19. Go white water rafting in Clarens in the Free State, grade 3 and 4 rapids. Visit www.outrageousadventures.co.za
20. And lastly, did you know that South Africa is a world rock climbing hot spot? Visit www.rocknropeadventures.co.za to see if you have a head for heights.